Friday 6 July 2012

A taste of Taiwanese Porridge...?

There is a place that I tend to pass by every now and then and every time I pass by the place, I told myself that I must try their food. The only excuse that I have for not trying the food of that place would be due to the fact that I'm dining alone. =="" But after I thought through the number of crazy things that I have done for the paste year, I think that that's a pretty lame excuse and I should just go ahead trying their food... (Example of crazy things that I have done: having a very big bowl of 'Yong Tau Hu' alone, having more than 5 meals in a day, etc...)


This would be my dinner for that day.
Some dishes and a bowl of porridge.


This place doesn't serve normal white porridge. What they have
here would be 'Sweet Potato Porridge'. Although only a handful
of sweet potato was given, that's already satisfying enough.
By the way, you only need to pay a fixed price to be entitled
to unlimited bowls of 'Sweet Potato Porridge'. (I, myself had
3 bowls of porridge that day. Oh by the way, they have normal
white rice too, if you aren't a big fan of porridge.)


'Preserved Salted Vegetables with Pork'(梅菜扣肉)
The chefs might have been spending long hours preparing this
dish. The taste of the garlic have blend into the vegetables
completely and the colour of the garlic was so dark that I
almost mistaken it as a piece of meat. (Though I still find
this dish a bit costly. :O)


'Sambal Gui Miao'(参巴龟苗)
This is looks and tastes like long beans. I tried to Google
about the vegetables used in this dish and it seems that
'Gui Miao' is a type of long beans. I love the way they are
preparing this dish. Besides been spicy, the crunchy touch
that the vegetables has and the taste of it has given me
sufficient reasons for visiting them again.


'Fried Chicken with Onion Ginger in Claypot'(砂煲姜葱鸡)
This would be the main dish of this meal. Besides for the
heavenly smell that is coming out from this claypot, the
is pretty good too. But this is a pretty common dish in
Singapore, so it aren't so easy to make it very special.
Either ways, just by ordering this, I think one could
easily finish 2 bowls of rice or porridge.


'Fresh Cockles'(新鲜生蛤)
Well, it aren't very nice if you are turning turns eating
a hot dish, followed by a cold dish and so on and so forth.
Therefore, by looking at the size of the plate, I decided
to leave this out for the last. After I started stirring
the cockles a bit, I regretted for ordering this dish.
Although the cockles are pretty fresh indeed, but after I
tried finishing the whole plate (like 30+ cockles), my
stomach started spinning like a washing machine. I'm
wondering that's because my I haven't been eating
'Fresh Cockles' over the past few months.

So where can you get all the dishes listed in this post?

The name of this stall would be 'Gu Zao Ren Seafood Taiwan
Porridge'(古早人煮炒台湾粥). What I have shown here would be
the branch located at 'ABC Brickworks Market/Food Centre'.

Notes:
  • Although their opening hours start from evening till midnight, but their Rice and Sweet Porridge tend to sold out pretty quickly.
* Click here to find out more about 'Gu Zao Ren Seafood Taiwan Porridge'.

No comments:

Post a Comment