Thursday 28 July 2011

水粿 - ABC? (A Broken Chinese)

No there isn't a typo error. This is a common dish that you can find in a hawker centre in Singapore nowadays. Especially if you have been living in Singapore for the last 20 or more years, you might have heard of the infamous 'Tiong Bahru Chwee Kueh' before. There might be a possibility that this was the same store that have created a trend of opening 'Chwee Kueh Store' all over Singapore. As for myself, it was pretty fortunate for myself to be staying in the Tiong Bahru area for my entire life and this is definitely a taste that I have grown up with.


As usual photos of Food:D...

This is how the store looks like. The same store had been using
the same sign board as far as I can remember.


Here comes the fun part. Images of 'Chwee Kueh'.
Everyone had a different way of judging a good 'Chwee Kueh'.
Some goes for the Dried Radish, some goes for the texture of the 'Chwee Kueh', some goes for the chilli and some of them would be looking at the combination of all 3 factors.
As for myself, I go for the chilli of the 'Chwee Kueh'. I love it...
But I still prefer the taste back then where 'Chwee Kueh' were once offered at a price of S$1 for 5 pieces where Tiong Bahru Market used to be a wet market. :)

Click here for the map of Tiong Bahru Market.

More Information about 'Jian Bo Chwee Kueh (楗柏水粿)':
  • The operating hours were pretty long and the operating hours were as close as 8am - 10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment